Saturday, December 3, 2011

5K The Hard Way




The gym was closed today, hijacked by a damn craft fair. This is the second closure since we moved indoors, which means gym closure rates are greater than rain out rates. Anyway, it sucks on many levels. The Saturday morning game is both my best and my funnest workout of the week. And I had two good practice sessions this week and was feeling good about my game going into the weekly tilt. So I was really disappointed with the closure.

I replaced the workout with a session that almost killed me. It was no fun at all. Some background: one of my midweek workouts is 5K on the Concept II indoor rowing machine--20 minutes of mid-to-high end aerobic work that also works almost every muscle in the body. Bizarrely, the rowing motion is very similar, physiologically, to a kettlebell swing. So I combined the two. The result was a 46:20 nutripper of a workout.

I rewarded myself afterwards with an early Christmas Present: First the now mandatory pickle juice recovery, followed by a Double Old Thumper; then an early Christmas present and a real treat--the Double Bastard. The pickle juice was wrong--kosher dill is right. The Double Thumper is also too sweet. The Double Bastard is everything a beer should be. Flavorful, fullbodied, complex, malty, and kick ass.

After the reward, a nap ensued.

No comments:

Post a Comment