Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Practice!

That's right, I'm talking about practice.

Fitness improvement means playing at a higher level, and it's injury preventative medicine. Practice means basketball skill improvement, which facilitates playing at a higher level. I've developed a practice routine that I can do by myself that incorporates both skill development and fitness improvement. This is it:

1:00 Mikan drill/:30 push-ups
1:00 Reverse Mikan drill/:30 plank
1:00 Mikan baby hook drill/:30 Sumo Squat Jump
1:00 Catch-and-shoot/:30 Mary Katherines
1:00 Catch-and-shoot/:30 jump rope
2:30 10 free throw attemps

That's Round One. I do 3 rounds. I try to minimize the rest time between rounds. The last time I did this, I averaged 52 baskets made (excluding the free throws). I made 20 of my 30 free throws, and completed the 3 rounds in 34:37. My heart rate bangs into anaerobic threshold range and averages mid-aerobic range throughout the workout, despite falling during the free throw sessions.

My hope is that, over time, I'll be a better player with help from this workout

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for a post about yeast.
    Sounds like a great routine (although I don't understand much of it) except for the squats. I'm anti-squats since I did 3 sets of 20 with the American School x-country team about a month ago and my right buttock has been sore ever since. I think you should just run up and down the court, or something, rather than do squats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do squats frequently, and find them helpful. I had to build into it, though. I started by practicing facing a wall--which forces proper form (if you lean forward, you hit the wall. The same thing happens if your knees extend too far forward). But 3 sets of 20 is a lot!

    ReplyDelete