Friday, October 28, 2011

Against The Odds



In a pursuit that started outdoors--on the court pictured here--and has now moved indoors, I am fighting the odds by playing basetball again, at age 56, after a 15 year lay-off. And the evidence is in, I stink. How bad? Well I'm 21-33 after today's 1-3. Other factors that make this a challenge: I'm about 20 pounds overweight and have a long history of foot and leg issues. But somehow I keep thinking I'll get better.

And now I have a goal: to represent Maine in the 2012 Maine Senior Games. I do have one significant factor that helps my against-the-odds pursuit. In the 2011 Maine Senior Games there were no men's teams from Maine (there were 11 teams from out of state). So I think it's as easy as rounding up some other geezers and signing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment