Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cogitating



At the (almost) end of the first quarter of the year, I have re-examined the goals that I set for the year. And as a result of that self reflection, I can now rationalize a slight change in the way I measure one of the goals.

I'm confident that I will achieve my "basketball games played" goal of 200. I've played 48 despite missing almost a month of playing time due to injury, illness, and travel. And I play more in the summer (outdoor) months. Also good news, I'm 28-20 in those 48 games. The won-loss record is not the be all and end all but I am playing better than I did last year.

I have lost 4 pounds (annual goal 10) and I will lose more in the spring, summer, and fall. I generally fatten up a bit in the winter.

I am slightly ahead of goal--24 versus a pro rata 23--on my "no booze" day target. The Monday and Thursday booze-free days have become a habit.

Finally, my "workout days" goal, a 250 day per year goal that I am currently behind (53 days versus a pro rata 58) requires a bit of reworking. The goal is fine, actually, but a "workout" that previously didn't qualify as a workout--a brisk walk, 5K minimum--now makes sense to me. Specifically, on the day after playing basketball, a recovery workout makes sense, and walking for an hour+ works really well. It's a low level calorie burn that re-engages the legs without wearing them out. So I'm calling it a workout. Effective immediately.

Beyond the twice weekly basketball games and once weekly basketball skill workouts, and the walking, I need to work the core (planks), and build some strength (push-ups and pull-ups), I need to develop some high end fitness. Every now and then I don't do what I should do on the basketball court because I am too fatigued to do the right thing. I'm going to try the tabata protocol, using my rowing machine, to increase my top end fitness. I did this a couple years ago and it's nasty. Twice per week should be plenty.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I guess I'll let you get away with calling an hour walk a workout...it is a recovery workout, after all. 30 minutes, no, but an hour, ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it (5K+ walk) may be the appropriate workout only on Friday, between my Thursday and Saturday basketball games.

    ReplyDelete